McAfee Stinger is a standalone energy made use of to discover as well as remove specific viruses. It’& rsquo; s not a replacement for complete antivirus security, yet a specialized device to help administrators and also individuals when taking care of contaminated system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan modern technology, consisting of rootkit scanning, as well as check efficiency optimizations. It finds and eliminates hazards determined under the “” Danger Listing”” option under Advanced food selection choices in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger currently spots and also eliminates GameOver Zeus as well as CryptoLocker.
Exactly how do you make use of Stinger?
- Download the latest version of Stinger.
- When triggered, choose to conserve the file to a practical location on your hard drive, such as your Desktop folder.
- When the download is total, navigate to the folder that contains the downloaded and install Stinger data, and run it.
- The Stinger interface will be shown.
- By default, Stinger scans for running processes, filled components, computer system registry, WMI and also directory site locations known to be made use of by malware on an equipment to keep scan times minimal. If necessary, click the “” Customize my check”” web link to include extra drives/directories to your check.
- Stinger has the capacity to check targets of Rootkits, which is not enabled by default.
- Click the Scan button to begin scanning the specified drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will fix any type of contaminated documents it finds.
- Stinger leverages GTI Data Online reputation and runs network heuristics at Medium level by default. If you choose “” High”” or “” Really High,”” McAfee Labs recommends that you set the “” On hazard discovery”” activity to “” Report”” just for the first check.
To read more concerning GTI Data Online reputation see the following KB short articles
KB 53735 – Frequently Asked Questions for Worldwide Threat Intelligence File Track Record
KB 60224 – Exactly how to confirm that GTI File Track record is installed appropriately
KB 65525 – Recognition of generically discovered malware (International Danger Knowledge detections)
Join Us stinger mcafee website
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I know I have a virus, however Stinger did not find one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not a replacement for a complete anti-virus scanner. It is only developed to discover and eliminate certain hazards.
Q: Stinger located a virus that it couldn'’ t repair work. Why is this? A: This is more than likely due to Windows System Restore capability having a lock on the contaminated documents. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 users need to disable system restore prior to scanning.
Q: Where is the scan log saved and also exactly how can I watch them?
A: By default the log documents is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, browse to the log TAB and also the logs are presented as list with time stamp, clicking the log documents name opens the documents in the HTML format.
Q: Where are the Quarantine files saved?
A: The quarantine documents are kept under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the “” Risk Listing”” alternative under Advanced food selection used for?
A: The Threat Listing gives a listing of malware that Stinger is set up to find. This list does not include the results from running a check.
Q: Exist any command-line criteria readily available when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line parameters are presented by going to the assistance food selection within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and currently have a Stinger.opt data, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it produces the Stinger.opt documents that conserves the present Stinger configuration. When you run Stinger the next time, your previous arrangement is utilized as long as the Stinger.opt documents is in the exact same directory site as Stinger.
Q: Stinger updated parts of VirusScan. Is this anticipated actions?
A: When the Rootkit scanning alternative is selected within Stinger preferences –– VSCore files (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will certainly be updated to 15.x. These documents are installed just if more recent than what'’ s on the system and also is needed to scan for today’& rsquo; s generation of newer rootkits. If the rootkit scanning option is handicapped within Stinger –– the VSCore upgrade will certainly not happen.
Q: Does Stinger perform rootkit scanning when released using ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve disabled rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO package to restrict the vehicle upgrade of VSCore elements when an admin releases Stinger to thousands of makers. To make it possible for rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please use the complying with specifications while checking in the Stinger plan in ePO:
— reportpath=%temp%– rootkit
For thorough guidelines, please describe KB 77981
Q: What variations of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, Vista SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. On top of that, Stinger calls for the device to have Net Explorer 8 or above.
Q: What are the needs for Stinger to execute in a Win PE environment?
A: While creating a custom-made Windows PE picture, include assistance for HTML Application parts utilizing the instructions offered in this walkthrough.
Q: Exactly how can I get assistance for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a sustained application. McAfee Labs makes no warranties concerning this item.
Q: How can I include custom detections to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the alternative where a user can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a custom blacklist. During a system scan, if any documents match the personalized blacklisted hashes – the data will get detected as well as erased. This feature is given to aid power users that have actually separated a malware sample(s) for which no discovery is available yet in the DAT data or GTI Data Credibility. To utilize this function:
- From the Stinger user interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be spotted either via the Get in Hash button or click the Load hash List button to indicate a text file including MD5 hashes to be included in the scan. SHA1, SHA 256 or various other hash types are in need of support.
- Throughout a check, files that match the hash will certainly have a detection name of Stinger!<
>. Full dat repair work is used on the spotted documents.
- Data that are electronically signed utilizing a valid certification or those hashes which are already marked as clean in GTI Data Credibility will certainly not be found as part of the custom blacklist. This is a safety and security feature to prevent users from unintentionally erasing files.
Q: Exactly how can run Stinger without the Genuine Protect element getting set up?
A: The Stinger-ePO bundle does not execute Actual Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect getting mounted, perform Stinger.exe